Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy to make using a refrigerated ready made pie crust. Vanilla ice cream is a must have with this pie.
- 1 refrigerated ready-made pie crust
- 1⁄2 cup flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut in small pieces
- 7 medium tart apples, such as granny smith
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Line 9" pie plate with pie crust and flute edges.
- Mix all dry topping ingredients together and cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- For filling, peel, core and slice apples 1/8" thick.
- Toss with lemon juice to coat.
- Mix remaining ingredients together and sprinkle over apple slices, tossing to coat.
- Layer apple slices in pie shell mounding them higher in center.
- Pat topping evenly over apples to form a top crust.
- Place pie on a baking sheet to catch any drips.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350° and bake for 45 minutes more.
- If topping browns too quickly, place a piece of foil over pie.
- Cool pie completely on a wire rack before serving.
This was a very easy and delicious pie to make and eat. The sweet crunchy topping balanced the tartness of the Granny Smith apples perfectly. I did not have any vanilla ice cream but I did whip up some fresh cream with a bit of sugar. I'm ashamed to say we did not have any leftovers, my family of four polished off the whole pie. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe.
I found the filling to be a tad bit too tart. However, as long as you get a bite of the "crunch" along with the filling all is well. I think next time I will increase the sugar or add some brown sugar to the filling. Yes, ice cream is a must with this.