I love this dish for dessert, fresh and hot, topped with vanilla soymilk or ice cream (alone it is only medium sweet). Or for breakfast. Or for a snack after a long walk. Mmmmmm!
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place butter in dish at room temperature to soften.
- Chop apples. Place bite-size pieces in 8 inch square or round baking dish, stirring in the lemon juice as you go, to keep them from browning.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, oatmeal, sugar, salt and spices. Smush in the butter until everything is well-mixed. Add nuts and mix some more.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over apples (do not mix them together - the flour mixture goes on top of the apple pieces).
- Bake at 375 for 45 minutes, or until topping is dark golden brown.
- Let cool somewhat before serving, as the juices get bubbly hot in the oven. Enjoy!