Recipe by Elise and family
I love this dish for dessert, fresh and hot, topped with vanilla soymilk or ice cream (alone it is only medium sweet). Or for breakfast. Or for a snack after a long walk. Mmmmmm!
Top Review by UmmBinat
Served with plain rice milk for a good snack. I used gala apples and enjoyed how the apples were chopped not just sliced. I used freshly squeezed lemon juice, canola oil in replacement of butter though I know butter would be better. I made this gluten free using gluten free oats and Recipe #256259 using all white rice flour and tapioca starch. I replaced the pecans with walnuts and used a demerara dark brown sugar & sea salt. I think it would have been better a little less dark golden brown.
- 4 -6 apples, peeled and cored and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup oatmeal, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons pecans, chopped
- 3 tablespoons almonds, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 dash salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place butter in dish at room temperature to soften.
- Chop apples. Place bite-size pieces in 8 inch square or round baking dish, stirring in the lemon juice as you go, to keep them from browning.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, oatmeal, sugar, salt and spices. Smush in the butter until everything is well-mixed. Add nuts and mix some more.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over apples (do not mix them together - the flour mixture goes on top of the apple pieces).
- Bake at 375 for 45 minutes, or until topping is dark golden brown.
- Let cool somewhat before serving, as the juices get bubbly hot in the oven. Enjoy!