Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This bar is a healthy and nutritious bar.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups peeled chopped granny smith apples
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl, beating well at medium speed of an electric mixer.
- Reserve 2 cups flour mixture, and set aside.
- Add baking soda and next 3 ingredients to remaining flour mixture; beat well.
- Add vanilla and next 2 ingredients; beat well.
- Stir in apple.
- Press reserved 2 cups flour mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle walnuts over flour mixture.
- Spread apple mixture over prepared crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until browned.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Yield: 24 servings (serving size: 1[2-1/4 x 2-1/8-inch] bar).
- NOTES: Ann Lapinski, of Schenectady, New York, lightened her mother's crunchy dessert recipe and served it to her family.
- They didn't notice any difference.
Great tasting all around apple bar. I love the added yogurt. I used gala apples in place of the granny smith's. I also made sure I used a heaping t. of cinnamon too. This is a great recipe for the fall time of year.:-)
"Amazing" was my son's comment on these flavorful little bars. The flavor comes out seeming more complex than I would have imagined. I took them to a Super Bowl party and they easily kept pace with the chocolate brownies as a snack option. Thanks for sharing these!
Oh Goodness, Lauralie!! It is a good thing these little guys are good for you, because I will be eating a lot of them!! I made as directed, but I added about 1/2 cup of craisins in with the apple mixture (just for fun : ) and they added just the touch I was looking for! Thanks so much for this great recipe! I love having a new way to use my fall apples!