Recipe by lauralie41
This bar is a healthy and nutritious bar.
Top Review by CoffeeB
Great tasting all around apple bar. I love the added yogurt. I used gala apples in place of the granny smith's. I also made sure I used a heaping t. of cinnamon too. This is a great recipe for the fall time of year.:-)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups peeled chopped granny smith apples
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl, beating well at medium speed of an electric mixer.
- Reserve 2 cups flour mixture, and set aside.
- Add baking soda and next 3 ingredients to remaining flour mixture; beat well.
- Add vanilla and next 2 ingredients; beat well.
- Stir in apple.
- Press reserved 2 cups flour mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle walnuts over flour mixture.
- Spread apple mixture over prepared crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until browned.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Yield: 24 servings (serving size: 1[2-1/4 x 2-1/8-inch] bar).
- NOTES: Ann Lapinski, of Schenectady, New York, lightened her mother's crunchy dessert recipe and served it to her family.
- They didn't notice any difference.