Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
One of our favorite apples cakes…always welcome!
- 125 g sugar
- 175 g butter or 175 g margarine
- 1 portion vanilla powder
- 1 egg
- 1 prince salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 375 g baking flour
- 1000 g apples, peeled and sliced
- 75 g sugar
- 50 g raisins (optional)
- 50 g nuts (optional)
- 50 g almonds (optional)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 50 ml water
- 50 g cornstarch
- Put all the ingredients except the baking flour in the food processor and mix them a bit.
- Add the baking flour. Mix it all together until it’s crumbled.
- Take 2/3 of the crumbles, put them in the mold, spread them out and press them against the mold ground and wall (3-4 cm border).
- Mix apples, sugar and the optional ingredients in a bowl and put them into the microwave for about 8 minutes with 900 watt until the apples are soft.
- Mix well the cornstarch with the water in a small bowl and add it to the apple mixture.
- Mix all together with a spoon and put the bowl again in the microwave until it thickens. (About 2-4 min with 900 watt).
- Put the apple filling on the dough in the mold and flatten it well.
- Take the rest of the crumbles (1/3) and spread them out on the apple mixture.
- Bake 50 minutes at 180°C (heat and timing are basing it on convection oven).
I scaled this back serve 4 though if I had made the recipe as written for 16 I could well have eaten all it alone with no problems. It is a gorgeous cake. Mine was a lot "flatter" than the pic shown but that is probably due to making a smaller version. As I was out of sultanas and raisins I used half a jar of fruit mince as my dried fruit and 2 huge apples and this really made a delicious dessert
Made this the other day when I had 4 friends over for supper, & it was a hit all 'round! Followed the recipe right on down & loved the combo of nuts, apples & raisins! Definitely a keeper of a recipe! Thanks for sharing! [Made & reviewed in Newest Zaar recipe tag]