Recipe by mickeydownunder
Made these cookies as a challenge, TRUE! To "HIDE a vegetable in them too! NOTE I substitute Xylitol (a sugarless sugar; not a sugar alternative) Feel free to use sugar, but with Xylitol, makes the cookies healthy as can be! If you have any questions, please PM me... ORIGINAL SOURCE: http://whatsonthelist.net/2013/03/27/apple-crumble-pie-cookies-the-daring-kitchen-bakers-march-2013-challenge/
- 1 medium granny smith apple, peeled, cored, finely diced
- 1 medium potato, peeled, finely diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup coconut butter, solid state
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pure organic vanilla powder
Directions See How It's Made
- In a sauce pan, melt butter then add apples, potatoes and allspice; stir over medium heat for approximately 10 minutes or tender; set aside.
- Pre heat oven to 180°C (350F).
- Combine all Crumble ingredients (flour, sugar, butter) with a fork or pastry blender.
- In a stand up mixer, combine butter, coconut butter, xylitol, spices and vanilla powder; beat until “light and fluffy”.
- In a separate large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt; mix together well.
- S-L-O-W-L-Y stir in dry ingredients to creamy mixture until combined; Stir in “cooled” apple and potato (shhhhh is our hidden veggie secret…remember? ;-) ).
- On a flat baking tray, will out cookie dough into 1 1/2 inch balls making “sure” they are placed 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 6 minutes; remove.
- Place 1 1/2 teaspoon of curmble on top of cookie; return to oven and bake until lightly golden brown.