1/1 Photo of Apple Crumble, King Arthur
1 hr 30 mins
From the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion. A perfect base for vanilla ice cream. Even my pickiest daughter gave this five stars! A wonderful fall dessert. I used rum and really liked the taste it gave the crumble. The recipe said "16 servings" but not in my house! I changed it to 10 servings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs granny smith apples (about 5 medium to large)
- 1 lb apples, McIntosh (about 2 large) or 1 lb apple, Cortland (about 2 large)
- 1/4 cup rum or 1/4 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons boiled cider (optional but good)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Peel, core and slice the apples into 1/4-inch-thick pieces.
- 3Place them in a bowl with the remainder of the filling ingredients and stir vigorously to combine. In the process, the apple pieces will break into smaller bits; this is fine.
- 4Spoon the apple mixture into a lightly greased 9x9 cake pan, or a ceramic pan of similar capacity and surface area.
- 6In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, oats, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon and baking powder. Add the butter, cutting it in as you would when making piecrust.
- 7Mix until crumbly; if you work it too much the mixture will clump together, so use a light touch but be thorough.
- 8Sprinkle topping over the filling.
- 9Bake the crumble for 1-1/2 hours or until it's hot and bubbly and a deep, golden brown. Remove it from the oven and let it cool to lukewarm before serving.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Crumble, King Arthur
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 296.3
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 204.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 30.1 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: