Recipe by truebrit
This is a genuine English recipe, and my personal favorite! The crumble is crumbly as opposed to crispy. Serve hot or cold with custard or light cream (either one having a thin, pouring consistency). You can also make this with peaches, blackberries, rhubarb, etc. (I've tried making it with strawberries and rhubarb, and it turned out wonderfully!)
- 4 lbs granny smith apples, peeled,cored and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces butter or 4 ounces margarine
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F, Place sliced apples in a greased 13" X 9" dish.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 tsp of the cinnamon over fruit.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, remaining 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and salt.
- Rub butter into flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Sprinkle over fruit.
- Bake at 400 F for 30-45 minutes, or until top is lightly browned.