Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from David Lieberman. It is so good and has lots of yummy flavor.
- 4 large golden delicious apples (about 3 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch fine salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Peel, core, and slice apples into 1/4-inch slices. Place apples in a large mixing bowl and toss with sugar, lemon juice, flour, and cinnamon. Pour into a lightly greased 9 by 13-inch baking dish, and spread out into an even layer. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix together the nuts, flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, and salt for the topping. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, gently work in the cold butter until pea-sized lumps are formed.
- Top apples evenly with mixture and bake until apples are bubbly and topping is golden brown, about 45 minutes, rotating once halfway through cooking.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.