Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my paternal grandmother's recipe. She made this several times on her visits over from New Zealand. The number of apples is the minimum quantity. If there is more than 4 people just add an extra apple per person (eg 6 apples for 6 people). Adjust the crumble accordingly. Cooking time doesn't include time for stewing apples.
- 4 granny smith apples
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 3⁄4 cup raw sugar or 3⁄4 cup brown sugar or 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 Weet-Bix, crumbled
- Peel, core and chop apples.
- Stew in a pot with a little water and a sprinkling of sugar if necessary.
- When cooked, pour into a pie dish.
- Add flour in a bowl and rub in butter.
- Add all other dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pat onto top of apple and bake in a moderate oven for 40 minutes.
- Serve warm with cream and/or ice cream.