Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Enjoy. This is pretty easy to make with not too many ingredients. Great for when guests are over for dinner.
- 8 golden delicious apples
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar (superfine)
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 120 g butter
- 120 g plain flour (all purpose)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180oC (350oF).
- Peel and core the apples, then cut them into chunks.
- Put the apple, 2 tablespoons of sugar and the lemon zest in a small baking dish and mix together. Dot 40g (about 2 tablespoons) of butter over the top.
- Rub the remaining butter into the flour until you have a texture which resembles course sand. Stir through the rest of the sugar and the cinnamon.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the apples and bake the crumble for 1 hour, by which time the top should be browned and the juice bubbling up through the crumble.
- Serve with thick cream or custard.
This was good and easy to put together. As I made this a couple of hours ahead of cooking I tossed the apple in lemon juice and didn't add the zest. Too also suit dietery requirements I only tossed the apple in 1 tablespoon of sugar (which next time I will omit) and will use 1 to 2 tablespoons of brown sugar in the topping mix in future. Thank you Terese for a apple crumble (crisp) recipe that I can use which suits out diabetic needs.