Recipe by HokiesMom
I have not tried this recipe yet - waiting on fresh apples from the Orchard soon but I had to save this here as I was borrowing a book and found this recipe!
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 granny smith apples, cored, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup apricot preserves, melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F Coat a 15x10x1" pan with non-stick spray.
- FOR BARS: Beat together the butter and sugar until smooth about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in almond extract.
- On low speed beat in flour and salt until just blended.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Fan apple slices over the top and then brush with the melted preserves.
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes.
- FOR CRUMB TOPPING: Whisk together the flour, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Stir in the butter until mixture is moistened and clumps together.
- Sprinkle evenly over batter in pan.
- Bake for an additional 35 minutes.
- Remove pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar and cut into 24 squares.