Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
These bars are quick and simple to prepare....and delicious, too!
- 2 cups instant oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients EXCEPT applesauce and nuts. Mix well until crumbly. RESERVE 1 cup of this oat mixture.
- Press into bottom of greased 13" x 9" baking pan. Bake at 350 for 13-15 minutes; cool.
- Spread applesauce over partially baked crust, then sprinkle with nuts. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of oat mixture on top.
- Bake at 350 13-15 minutes or until golden-brown.
- Cool. Cut into squares.
So moreish and so yummy - I used chunky apples and served this as a dessert and it was just wonderful. This sort of oaty rustic thing is my favourite type of dessert.
These bars have a good cinnamon, oat and walnut flavor and went on my cookie trays this year. We couldnt' really taste the applesauce, so next time I'm planning on using a chunky type of applesauce as I think that will add more of a fruit flavor.