Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
In 'Tate's Bake Shop: Baking for Friends' by Kathleen King
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 3/4 c.)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven; preheat oven to 400°; butter ten 3-x1 1/2 inch muffin cups.
- Crumb topping-in a small bowl, work together the flour, butter, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon with your fingertips until the mixture is crumbly.
- Muffins-in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg; stir in the apple.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, applesauce, vegetable oil, egg, yolk, and vanilla.
- Pour over the apple mixture and stir just until combined; do not overmix.
- Using a 1/3-cup food portion scoop or a spoon, transfer equal amounts of the batter into the prepared muffin cups; the cups will be full.
- Sprinkle the crumbs evenly on the muffins.
- Bake until a wooden pick comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from pan and let cool completely on the rack.