Recipe by Karen=^..^=
Artisan-style apple pie with caramel topping (from Betty Crocker)!
Top Review by Marie Nixon
I really liked the crust recipe. I chilled it for 30 minutes, as recommended and then let it sit on the counter for about 10 minutes. It rolled out very easily to a 12 inch round. I liked the crostata. The only thing keeping me from giving it 5 stars instead of 4 stars is that I would have liked a little bit of juice in the filling. I expected the filling to be just like an apple pie filling but mine turned out a little on the dry side.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chopped peeled apples (4 medium)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup caramel topping (Crust ingredients start below)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (firm) or 1⁄2 cup margarine, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (firm)
- 1 1⁄4 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Make Crostata Crust: Cut butter into flour, sugar and salt in medium bowl, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until particles are size of small peas.
- Mix vanilla and water; sprinkle over flour mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and dough almost cleans side of bowl (up to 1 tablespoon more water can be added if necessary).
- Gather dough into a ball; shape into flattened 5-inch round.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate about 30 minutes or until firm.
- Roll pastry into 12-inch circle on lightly floured surface.
- Place on ungreased large cookie sheet.
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- Mix 1/2 cup sugar and the flour in large bowl.
- Stir in apples.
- Mound apple mixture on center of dough circle to within 2 inches of edge.
- Fold edge of dough over apple mixture; crimp edge of dough slightly.
- Mix 1 tablespoon sugar and the cinnamon; sprinkle over apples and dough.
- Bake 27 to 32 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Cut into wedges.
- Serve warm drizzled with caramel topping.