Prep 80 hrs
Cook 25 mins
The easiest way to serve "Apple Pie" without the fuss. I Love the rustic presentation. Ina's recipe, inspired by George Germon and Johanne Killeen Cucina Simpatica. Prep time is total time including chilling the dough.
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 29.58 ml granulated sugar
- 1.23 ml kosher salt
- 118.29 ml very cold unsalted butter, diced
- 29.58 ml ice water
- 680.38 g apples, ie. McIntosh, Macoun (3 large) or 680.38 g empire apples (3 large)
- 1.23 ml grated orange zest
- 59.14 ml flour
- 59.14 ml granulated sugar
- 1.23 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 0.59 ml ground allspice
- 59.16 ml cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1 egg, mixed, for egg wash
- For the pastry, place the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse a few times to combine.
- Add the butter and pulse 12 to 15 times, or until the butter is the size of peas. With the motor running, add the ice water all at once through the feed tube.
- Keep hitting the pulse button to combine, but stop the machine just before the dough becomes a solid mass.
- Turn the dough onto a well-floured board and form into a disk. Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Flour a rolling pin and roll the pastry into an 11-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Transfer it to a baking sheet.
- For the filling: peel, core, and cut the apples into 8ths. Cut each wedge into 3 chunks. Toss the chunks with the orange zest. Cover the tart dough with the apple chunks leaving a 1 1/2-inch border.
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and allspice in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mixture is crumbly. Pour into a bowl and rub it with your fingers until it starts holding together. Sprinkle evenly on the apples.
- Gently fold the border over the apples to enclose the dough, pleating it to make a circle. No need to make the circle perfect.
- Brush wit egg wash.
- Bake the crostata for 20 to 25 minutes, until the crust is golden and the apples are tender. Check to see if apples are tender. It may take longer to bake depending on the size and type of apple. Gala & Granny smith may take longer, I slice thinner.
- Allow to cool.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.