Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 55 mins
This recipe from the Oct '06 Food & Wine Magazine.
Make and share this Apple Crostada recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
APPLE FILLING and STREUSEL TOPPING
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 5 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 Tablespoon water
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar and salt.
- Add butter and pulse until it's the size of small peas.
- Add the ice water and pulse until dough forms.
- Turn out onto a work surface and gather the crumbs together. Shape into a disk. wrap in plastic and refrigerate for an hour.
- FILLING AND STREUSEL:.
- Mix flour with walnuts, both sugars, 1/4 teaspoon salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- In a small skillet, cook five tablespoons butter until golden brown. Pour over flour mixture and toss gently until crumbly. Refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, bring the maple syrup, vanilla bean and seeds to a boil. Cook over moderately high heat for three minutes.
- Whisk in the remaining butter and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Add half of the apples and cook until beginning to soften. Transfer apples (with slotted spoon) to a platter. Repeat with remaining apples. Let cool. Discard the vanilla bean and scrape pan juices into a bowl.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry to a 15-inch round, 1/8 inch thick.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Brush the egg wash in a 2-inch band around the edge of the dough.
- Spread apples on the pastry. Add any pan juices.
- Fold the border up over the apples, leaving the center exposed.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping over the apples in the center and brush the pastry with the egg wash.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly, then serve with vanilla ice cream drizzled with reserved pan juices and maple syrup.