Recipe by appleydapply
From Cooking Light. It's actually somewhat "light" in calories until you top with ice cream or whipped cream...
Top Review by So Cal Gal
This is such a wonderful apple crisp!! The apricot jam, macadamia nuts, and smaller amount of added fat make it deliciously modern! And it is very tasty with, or without, whipped cream or ice cream. The only substitutions I made were: whole wheat pastry flour and butter--both of which worked great. I really love (!!!) that this recipe is lighter in calories; we can enjoy what is usually just a special occasion dessert more often! Thanks so much for sharing it, appleydapply!! (Tagged, made, and reviewed for PRMR Holiday Special.)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons stick margarine, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled granny smith apples
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- vanilla ice cream (optional) or whipped cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl; stir well. Cut in margarine with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.
- Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Place apple slices in the dish; drop apricot preserves by teaspoonfuls onto apple slices. Sprinkle evenly with the flour/nut mixture. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
- Serve warm, topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream if desired.