Recipe by Aroostook
This is a different, richer apple crisp. This recipe comes from a bed and breakfast in Searsport, Maine.
Top Review by ~In*Memory*of*Brats~
Without a doubt, the BEST apple crisp ever!!!! We loved it! My husband used the word "sublime" to describe it. My daughter (11) helped make it and it was fun and easy too. I forgot to add the nutmeg to the apples so I sprinkled it on top before it went in the oven and that seemed to do the trick. Besides that I followed the recipe exactly. It was PERFECT! I will make this again and again! Thanks so much Aroostook!
- 10 cooking apples (I like Granny Smith + Cortland)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and slice apples.
- Toss with mixture of cinnamon and add 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Set aside.
- Combine remaining sugar with flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Crack eggs into dry mixture and work well until topping mixture is crumbly.
- Lay apple slices in a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Sprinkle topping over apples and pour melted butter evenly over top.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until golden, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.