Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Gourmet published their version of an apple crisp and when I was looking for a crisp recipe like my grandma's I tweeked this one.
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, but into tablespoons, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 lbs granny smith apples
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F Lightly butter a shallow 3 1/2 to 4 quart baking dish.
- Topping: Combine flour, oats, sugars, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until well combined. Add butter. I use a mixer but you can use a food processor. Mix until it forms large clumps. With fingers work in the pecans.
- Filling: Whisk together sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Peel, quarter, and core apples and then cut into chunks about 1/2 inch thick. Add apples, cranberries, and lemon juice to sugar mixture. Toss until well combined.
- Assembly: Spread the apples in the buttered baking dish. Crumble topping evenly over them. Bake until topping is golden brown which takes about an hour and makes the house smell wonderful. Cool to warm and serve.
I'm giving it only three stars coz was too sweet and I also cut down on butter. For the topping I used 1/4 cup brown sugar and 2 T butter. I liked the pecans in it, but I had no cranberries. Five stars for the smell in the house!