Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I adapted this recipe from an old cookbook recipe. I am famous for this in my family.
- 4 cups apples
- 2⁄3-3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar (light)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (for apples)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (for apples)
- The ingredients as listed should make enough to fill an 8x8 square baking dish. For a 13x9 baking dish, I usually quadruple the recipe.
- For the apples, tart is usually better. Apples will cook down, so for 13x9, 2 bags of apples usually does the trick. This will vary on the size of bag, and size of apples.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a 13x9 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Peel and slice apples, put into large bowl.
- Sprinkle an extra 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons of sugar on top of apples. Mix cinnamon and sugar through apples (I use my hands for this).
- Place apples into baking dish.
- In medium to large bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, oats, butter and cinnamon. Use your hands, it works the best.
- Place the mixture on top of the apples, packing it down lightly to prevent it from falling off.
- Place baking dish on top of cookie sheet to prevent ooze from dripping down into oven.
- Bake at 375 for approximately 30 minutes or until top is golden brown (time may vary depending on your oven).
Just what I was looking for on this fall day! I tossed in some pears and didn't add more than a tsp of sugar to the apples...and cut the butter to 4T b/c that's what was left in a stick. Very yummy with some vanilla icecream melting over it. Thank you!
The easiest and best apple crisp I've ever made, leftovers taste great for breakfast too!
This is delicious. After a long day with my 4 month old, being a little sleep deprived, I misread the 4 cups of apples, and took it as saying 4 apples. Well, the apple crisp turned out perfectly despite my mistake. Best apple crisp I've had. Will make again :)