Recipe by carolinafan
Adopted this apple crisp recipe. Source: "Fine Cooking" Thanks and compliments to the one and only Mean Chef.
Top Review by KitchenManiac
I cannot describe how wonderful this was. why hasn't anyone tried this recipe!!! I made one large crisp, and it was done in 1 hour 5 minutes. Try this you won't regret it. Thanks Mean Chef!
FOR THE FILLING
- 1133.98 g apples, peeled, quartered, cored, and sliced to yield about 6 cups (about 6 medium, Granny Smith works well)
- 29.58-44.37 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
FOR THE CRISP TOPPING
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 73.94 ml brown sugar
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml finely chopped nuts (I like pecans)
- 113.39 g unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- To make the filling--In a 9-inch pie pan that's 2 inches deep (or a similar baking pan), toss the apples with the sugar to taste, cinnamon, and flour.
- To make the topping--In a medium bowl, mix together all the topping ingredients with your fingers or a pastry cutter until small pebbly pieces of butter are distributed throughout the mixture.
- Sprinkle the entire mixture over the apples.
- Bake until the topping is golden and the fruit is bubbling and tender, about 1 hour and 15 minute.
- for a large crisp and 1 hour for individual crisps.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- You can make individual crisps by dividing the filling and topping among six ramekins or individual gratin dishes.
- Serve with heavy cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Serves six.