Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is the best apple crisp recipe I have ever tried. I found it somewhere on the internet. It is good plain, or with ice-cream of whipped cream.
- 5-6 tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml lightly packed brown sugar
- 7.39 ml cinnamon
- 29.58 ml butter, melted
- 177.44 ml flour, plus
- 29.58 ml flour
- 88.74 ml oatmeal
- 103.53 ml sugar
- 103.53 ml lightly packed brown sugar
- 177.48 ml butter, cut in small pieces
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Put apples, sugars, and cinnamon in a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Stir to combine.
- Let sit about 20 minutes until some juice is released from the apples.
- Combine flour, oatmeal and sugars.
- Mix in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour melted 2 tbsp butter over apple mixture in the casserole.
- Sprinkle with topping mixture.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until topping is golden and filling is bubbling.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
We did not add the 2 tablespoons of melted butter, and cut back on the butter in the topping to 8 tablespoons. we cut back on the white sugar in the topping to 4 tablespoons, and it was still great! I think I will do more sugar next time, and a small sprinkle of salt in the topping, as it seemed to need it. We served it with half & half on top, sooo good, I will make this again and again. Don't be afraid to cut the butter some, if you are watching your diet like us!
Absolutely wonderful - didn't change a thing. DH is a very picky eater and he loved it. Was even better the next day!
Update 7/22/2012 I make this so often now that I can almost do it with my eyes closed. All the grown kids request it! Never can make one pan anymore! I really don't think you can mess this recipe up! Since I make it so much now, I hardly measure anything! Have added nuts, have used blueberries, apples and peaches. Have some fresh picked huckleberries, guess how I'm gonna use them!!!!
Does this recipe need one more glowing review? You betcha! I was worried that the 12 tablespoons of butter might be too much, especially as it was baking and looking a bit too buttery. Those were needless fears--ended up looking as good as it tasted. I followed directions as written, and it turned out just right. Everyone enjoyed this one--thanks, cuisinebymae!