Recipe by Busdav
I've always used the recipe for this out of the old NY Times Natural Foods cookbook, but the last time I wanted to make it I couldn't find the book. So I went through all of my other books and couldn't find anything that seemed quite the same so I asked here. Eventually somebody found something close and I used that. Then today my wife found the original so I thought I would post it here at long last.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats (I use quick)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 6 -8 apples, peeled cored and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix the flour, oats, sugar, salt, soda and butter with a pastry blender or leave out the oats and mix with a food processor until the butter is reduce to pieces smaller than a pea. Then add the oatmeal in and give it a couple more pulses.
- Mix the apples with the sugar and spices then put it all in the bottom on a buttered 9x9-inch pan
- Add the oatmeal mixture on top.
- Bake 50 minutes or until done.
- This recipe will fill a 9x9-inch pan right up to the top and maybe then some, but discretion is advised.