Recipe by Halcyon Eve
This is the crisp my mom always made when I was growing up. We like it with vanilla ice cream on top--yummm! You can also make it with peaches instead of apples, although I'd suggest reducing or omitting the cinnamon and increasing the nutmeg when making peach crisp. I like to prepare it while dinner is cooking, then pop it in the oven to bake while we eat dinner. When dinner's over--voila! Hot apple or peach crisp, all ready to serve!
Top Review by breezermom
Delicious! I butchered your recipe and made it for one person!! No one else will eat cooked fruit. But despite my adjustments, your recipe came out perfectly. I would add more cinnamon and nutmeg to the top, but that is the only change I would make. I also had no ice cream, but with it this recipe would be heaven! Thanks so much for posting! Made for photo tag!
- 6 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (or 1-2 quarts canned sliced peaches, drained)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2-1 cup sugar (I always use 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter, cooled to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Coat an 8x12 inch glass baking dish with nonstick spray. Place sliced apples (or peach slices) in pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and egg with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over apples.
- Pour melted butter over flour mixture. Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg on top.
- Bake at 350* F for 30-40 minutes or until topping is cooked through and golden and apples are bubbling. Serve hot, with ice cream if desired.