Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
It's a nice change from apple pie.
- 1 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 5 cups peeled and sliced granny smith apples (5-6 medium)
- 1 1⁄2 lemon juice
- Preheat oven 350.
- Grease 8x8x2 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, salt and spices.
- With pastry blender or food processer, cut butter into sugar mixture until crumbly. Be careful not to overprocesss.
- Spread apples over bottom of baking dish, sprinkling lemon juice on each layer.
- Press crumb mixture evenly over apples, making sure edges are well sealed.
- Bake 50-60 minutes until apples are tender.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
I used a mix of granny smith & gala apples to make this. The topping on this reminded us of the crumbly topping on my grandmother's Dutch Apple Pie. The bake time was spot on. Made for Fall 2011 Pick A Chef. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
Everyone loved this and asked for the recipe. It easy to make and I look forward to serving it again. Thanks for sharing it, Christy5.