Prep 15 mins
Cook 11 mins
These cookies are delicious! I make them quite often at my house. Using spiced Apple butter gives them more flavor.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup apple butter
- Preheat oven to 300° F degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, soda and salt.
- Mix well with a wire whisk.
- Set aside.
- Blend sugars in a large bowl using an electric mixer set at medium speed.
- Add butter and mix to form a grainy paste, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Add eggs and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture and blend at low speed until just combined.
- Do not overmix.
- Shape dough into marble-sized balls.
- Place balls on ungreased baking sheets, 1 inch apart.
- Bake 10-11 minutes.
- Do not brown.
- Transfer cookies to a cool flat surface with a spatula.
- TO PREPARE THE FILLING: Blend cream cheese and sugar in medium bowl.
- with an electric mixer on medium until fluffy.
- Add apple butter and beat until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- With a small knife spread 1 teaspoonful of apple cream on the bottom half of each cooled cookie.
- Top with another cookie to create a sandwich.
- Repeat with remaining cookies and filling.
I used to make these all the time as a kid. I love this recipe and have been looking everywhere for it! These are the most delicious cookies, and everyone who tries them absolutely loves them! Thanks for posting!
These were GREAT! The dough was easy to work with and the cookies came out in perfect circles. I made some small and some slightly larger. They are really soft cookies and when they come out of the oven you have to be very delicate with them. I found that if I let them bake just slightly longer and let them cool on the cookie sheet, it is easier to remove them from the cookie sheet without ruining their circular shape. I also did not make them into little sandwitches, although I tasted them that way and they were great. Instead, I put a small dallop of the frosting on top and in the middle of each cookie. I also added more apple butter to the frosting because I felt the cream cheese was overpowerin. I did use spiced apple butter which I also suggest! Everyone who tasted these loved them and some even asked for the recipe! These are very soft and light and have a nice mellow spice flavor!!