Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great for breakfast or with a nice, hot cup of coffee. I got this recipe from a newspaper many years ago.
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coursely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (try golden delicious)
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 9-inch tube pan with a removable bottom. In a small bowl, mix together walnuts, cinnamon, and 1/2 cup sugar. Set aside.
- In a nonreactive large bow, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Transfer to a large piece of wax paper. In same bowl, beat butter and remaining 1 cup of sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each. Stir in vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with sour cream to butter mixture, mixing well after each addition. Spread half batter in prepared pan and top with apple slices. Sprinkle half walnut mixture over apples. Spread remaining batter over all and top with remaining walnut mixture.
- Bake in center of oven 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let sit in pan on a wire rack 20 minutes, then remove from pan onto a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.