Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
quick and easy cake
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- Combine walnuts, cinnamon and 1/2 cup of the sugar.
- Set aside.
- Grease and flour a 9 inch angel food tin.
- Set aside.
- Beat butter until fluffy, add remaining 1 cup sugar.
- beating well.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients alternating with the sour cream.
- Spread half the batter in the greased cake pan.
- Place sliced apples over the batter evenly.
- Top with half of the walnut mixture.
- Pour remaining batter over the walnuts.
- Sprinkle the last of cinnamon/ walnut mixture evenly over the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven 350 degrees F.
- for 40 minutes, until tester comes away clean.
- Note::the original recipe says 375.
- for 40 minutes, but mine has always been done at 350.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Loosen from pan, then cool completely-- serve with whipped cream, or dairy sour cream sweetned with a touch of maple syrup.
Had some apples and some sour cream which I needed to use up. This was the perfect recipe for this. Must admit I did not use the apples,cinnamon and sugar as a filling and topping, just lightly mixed it (apples cut coarsely) with the batter. Out of the oven came a wonderful-smelling cake. When cooled down and sliced it was like a marble cake with apples. Very yummy. (no, I did not use the walnuts, had none on hand, it worked perfectly without it) Thanks for posting.
This made a very nice cake and went great when I served it with maple syrup - too yummy for words! I did use margarine as a substitute for butter and low-fat plain yogurt as a substitute for sour cream. I will be making this again! Thanks for sharing:-)