Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious baked apple pie topped with an unbaked cream cheese layer...YUMMY! This can also be made in a 8 x 8-inch square baking pan.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 3⁄4 cups diced peeled apples
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons hot water
CREAM CHEESE TOPPING
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, VERY soft
- 7 tablespoons butter, very soft but not melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9-inch pie plate.
- In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup softened butter, white sugar, egg, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, flour, 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla and HOT water; mix well to combine (batter will be thick).
- Add in apples and nuts; mix well to combine.
- Pour batter into greased pie pan.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes.
- To make the cream cheese topping: mix cream cheese, butter, vanilla and confectioners sugar until smooth enough to spread over the baked apples (you might have to add in a little more softened butter to achieve the consistancy).
- Spread over the warmed (or cooled) baked pie (do not bake the cream cheese topping).
- Serve hot or warm, or refrigerate and let the cream cheese topping set.
This was a yummy dense apple cake. I wasn't expecting the cream cheese layer to taste so much like cream cheese frosting and I think that with the sweet apple cake it was too sweet. But I love the idea and I plan on making it again with a lot less sugar in the cream cheese layer. I also really enjoyed this cold the next day.