Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Whole wheat and wheat germ makes this a healthy muffin and the apple juice helps them to stay moist.
- 295.73 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml whole wheat flour
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 59.14 ml toasted wheat germ
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 158.51 ml carnation fat-free evaporated milk (5 ounce can)
- 78.07 ml 100% apple juice, Premium
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 295.73 ml baking apples
- 177.44 ml dried sweetened cranberries (OCEAN SPRAY CRAISINS)
- 14.79 ml cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Grease or paper-line 12 muffin cups.
- Combine all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, granulated sugar, wheat germ, baking powder and cinnamon in medium bowl.
- Beat evaporated milk, apple juice, vegetable oil and egg in small bowl until blended.
- Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Fold in apple and cranberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 2 minutes.
- Remove to wire rack to cool slightly.
- Serve warm.
This is a delicious and flavorful recipe! I substituted freshly ground whole grain flour, but did not change any other ingredients. I also baked this in a stoneware loaf pan instead of making muffins, only because I could then bake it in my countertop oven and also I was tired and cleaning a loaf pan is faster than a muffin pan! I will definitely be making this again! Made for Potluck Game 2/08.
Apple and cranberry make a fantastic combination! These were moist, tender and very tasty. I did play with things a little, using all whole wheat flour (no white), lowfat vanilla yoghurt instead of the oil (applesauce would probably work even better) and lowfat milk instead of the evaporated (I didn't have any). I also cut the sugar to 1/3 of a cup, and they were still plenty sweet enough for me. Thanks Charlotte!
These are great muffins! I also used plain skim milk instead of evaporated and switched the amounts of whole wheat and all purpose flour. I diced my apple fairly coarsely so I could get bursts of flavor from the yummy morsels of apple when enjoying these muffins. The cranberries fit very well with the muffin. I also really liked the wheat germ in here. Thanks!!