Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Uses puff pastry
- 3 tablespoons apple jelly
- 1 large tart-sweet apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed for 30 minutes (half of a 17.3 oz. package)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Position oven rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat to 400°.
- Add jelly to a microwaveable bowl; microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds; stir in apple, cranberries, cornstarch, and cinnamon.
- Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface into a 12x9 inch rectangle.
- Cut into 6 squares; divide apple mixture among squares, leaving a 1-inch border, and lightly brush egg on border.
- Dot filling with butter; fold each pastry into a triangle, enclosing filling, and crimp edges with a fork.
- Cut 2 small steam vents in the top of each turnover.
- Place turnovers on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush tops lightly with more egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 18-20 minutes until puffed and golden; cool until warm but not hot, about 20 minutes.