Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 8 cups sliced apples (about 2 1/2 pounds, Granny Smith or Jonathan recommended)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For streusel topping, combine flour and brown sugar in small bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in walnuts and set aside.
- For filling, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt in medium bowl.
- Add cranberries and orange zest; mix well.
- Add apples to sugar mixture and toss well until evenly coated.
- Pour mixture into a 9 inch square baking dish, or casserole dish of suitable size.
- Sprinkle evenly with streusel topping.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until apples are tender and streusel is golden brown.
- Cool at least 1 hour before serving.