Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is so easy to make! Yield is only estimated, depending on how large you slice the strudel roll. This recipe can easily be doubled to make two rolls, and raisins can be used in place of dried cranberries.
- Thaw the puff pastry sheet at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Place the cranberries in a bowl and pour hot water to cover; let sit until plump (about 20 minutes).
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg and water; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, sliced apples, cranberrie (or raisins if using) juice from 1/2 lemon and lemon rind; toss to combine; set aside.
- Unfold the puff pastry onto a lightly-floured surface and roll into 16x12-inch rectangle.
- With the short end facing you, spoon apple mixture onto the bottom half of the rectangle to within 1-inch of edges.
- Starting at the short side roll up in jellyroll fashion.
- Place seam side down onto baking sheet, then tuck ends under to seal.
- Brush the roll with egg mixture.
- Cut several 2-inch slits about 2-inches apart on top.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on baking sheet on a wire rack for about 30 minutes (or more, do not slice before the 30 minutes or the filling will spread).
- Using a sharp serrated knife slice the baked strudel and serve warm sprinkled with confectioners sugar if desired.
EXCELLENT!!! I just got tremendous reviews from my coworkers for this one. I will be making this again. I bake something for work every Friday. This strudel was loved by everyone. THANK YOU! I doubled the recipe and did one regular roll as you described and one roll using the "braid" technique of putting the apples down the middle of the pastry and cutting the sides into strips and folding over the center. Both turned out beautifully.
So easy and tasty! I will make it again.
This is exactly what my husband had in mind when he said, "Why don't you make and Apple Strudel?" I used allspice instead of cinnamon just because. Very easy and good, honest, apple strudel. Keeper.