Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my adopted recipe Feb 2005. I made this today and love the flavor of apples and cranberries together. I used Granny Smith apples but I think any good cooking apple will do. This makes a lot, it would make 2 smaller pies, like the disposable foil pie plates you buy. I made it in a 9 1/2" deep dish pie plate and it did boil out a bit into the oven. My DH likes his apples in pies really soft so I put the apples and apple juice mixed with cornstarch and the sugar in a 4 quart Pyrex bowl and microwaved it for about 5 minutes. I thawed out the cranberries and then mixed with the apple mixture along with the corn syrup. Let cool slightly before filling pie.
- 1 double crust pie crust
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 4 medium apples for pies, peeled and chopped, about 4 1/2 cups
- 2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄3 cup corn syrup (light or dark)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- Prepare pie crusts for filled two-crust pie using 9 1/2 inch pan, or 2 smaller pie pans
- Heat oven to 450F.
- Mix apples with sugar, add cornstarch that has been mixed with apple juice, mix well.
- Add thawed cranberries and corn syrup, mixing well.
- Spoon into pie crust-lined pan, dot with butter, top with second crust.
- Cut slits to let steam escape and brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 450F for 10 minutes, reduce temperature to 400F and continue baking about 30 more minutes until filling is bubbling.
- Cool on wire rack and store in fridge.
To be honest, it was good enough, but I just did'nt like the cranberries mixed in.