Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have made this many times over the years and it is a huge hit. The sweetness of the apples and tang of the cranberries are just perfect together. With a lattice sugar sprinkled top the presentation is gorgeous and impressive. 10/08 update: Frozen cranberries will result in a very wet pie, I wouldn't suggest using them. Believe me, I just made that mistake!
- 5 large golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, NOT frozen
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar, for sprinkling
- 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells, rolled type
- 1 egg, beaten with water for egg wash
- 1⁄2 teaspoon water, for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine the following in a large bowl: apples, cranberries, 1 C sugar, flour, 2 T butter, ginger.
- Heap prepared apples & cranberries into unbaked pie shell.
- Brush second crust for top for lattice design with egg wash, cut into thick strips and weave into a lattice pattern crust. Sprinkle with "sugar in the raw".
- Bake for 60 minutes, until crust is golden and filling is bubbly and apples tender.