Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Another great find for fall flavors. I love cranberries and apples in almost anything (I can't imagine it in coffee - hee hee) so had to post this recipe. Great topped with vanilla bean ice cream or frozen yogurt too.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup fresh orange juice (about 3 oranges)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 (12 ounce) bag fresh cranberries
- 6 cups apples, peeled and cubed (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon rum extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F Coat a 3 quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- To prepare fruit mixture, combine the 1/2 cup sugar, orange juice, water, spice, and cranberries in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stir occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes or until cranberries pop and mixture is slightly thick. Cool slightly; stir in apples and rum extract. Spoon fruit mixture into the 3-quart casserole dish.
- To prepare topping, in a small bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in margarine using a pastry blender (or 2 knives) until mixture resembles coarse meal. Combine buttermilk and rind and add to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened.
- Spoon topping into 8 equal portions over fruit mixture. Sprinkle topping with 2 tsp sugar.
- Bake at 400F for 35 minutes or until filling is bubbling and topping is golden brown.