Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
My boss makes this bread every holiday season, and it is soooo good. I couldn't believe my life was devoid of cranberry bread before I met my boss! :) *note - this makes 2 loaves of bread *note2 - the bread requires 2 days of refrigeration before serving. (and it freezes really really well)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans, but walnuts would also work)
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cranberries
- 1 cup apple, peeled,cored &,shredded
- Heat oven to 350*.
- Grease& flour two 9x5 loaf pans.
- Combine flour, salt& soda- sift together in medium bowl, and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, cream sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs, sour cream& orange juice.
- Stir flour in until just moistened.
- Fold in cranberries, shredded apple and nuts.
- Divide mixture between prepared loaf pans; bake 50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Bread should be golden brown.
- Cool 10 minutes in pans, then cool on rack until cool.
- Wrap each loaf tightly and store in refrigerator for 2 days before slicing, or freeze.
Fabulous taste and texture. A real fall treat. Thank you.
This bread smelled so wonderful it was hard to wait the two days! Great tasting and loved the orange flavor with the cranberries and apples. Will be making this often!
Now THIS is a Fall treat! Just what I was looking for. The orange flavor is divine. Definitely let this sit a couple of days! Great for mailing in Christmas packages I think.