Recipe by newspapergal
My boss makes this bread every holiday season, and it is soooo good. I couldn't believe my life was devoid of cranberry bread before I met my boss! :) *note - this makes 2 loaves of bread *note2 - the bread requires 2 days of refrigeration before serving. (and it freezes really really well)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans, but walnuts would also work)
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cranberries
- 1 cup apple, peeled,cored &,shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350*.
- Grease& flour two 9x5 loaf pans.
- Combine flour, salt& soda- sift together in medium bowl, and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, cream sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs, sour cream& orange juice.
- Stir flour in until just moistened.
- Fold in cranberries, shredded apple and nuts.
- Divide mixture between prepared loaf pans; bake 50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Bread should be golden brown.
- Cool 10 minutes in pans, then cool on rack until cool.
- Wrap each loaf tightly and store in refrigerator for 2 days before slicing, or freeze.