Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
You can use frozen cranberries but increase the flour by 2 teaspoons. The topping can be prepared up to a day ahead and refrigerated.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup old fashioned oats
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- whipped cream or ice cream
- Butter an 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- For the topping: mix together flour, cinnamon, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add in cold butter and rub in with fingertips until moist clumps form; refrigerate while making the filling.
- To make filling: Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together the sliced apples, cranberries, maple syrup, brown sugar and flour; transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Bake the apple mixture for 20 minutes; remove from oven and sprinkle the topping over the hot apple mixture.
- Return to oven and bake for about 35-40 minutes more, until the juices are bubbly and the topping is golden brown.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
I found this recipe in Bon Appetit years ago, but never got around to rate it. We have friends who grow cranberries, so this is a must in the fall when they are fresh! Lovely!!!
Yummy! My son loves fruit desserts so I make them often. Loved the combination of apples and cranberries, and used Grade B maple syrup. Not overly sweet or heavy, perfect served with ice cream. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Perfect. This is MY kind of dessert! I am a lazy bum & didn't peel the apples. I think I'll skip the brown sugar & add more maple syrup instead. MMMM. everybody loved this & the kids finished it for breakfast. :) Thanks, Kitzy & I hope you're doing well. xoxoxoxoxo