From Morning Glories, by B&B owner Donna Leahy. This is a lovely tart with rich fall flavors.
Make and share this Apple Cranberry Lattice Tart recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup finely ground walnuts (or pecans)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups chopped apples (I used 3 med apples and 1 pear)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350. cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg yolks until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, ground nuts, cinnamon, cloves and baking powder.
- Add the dry mixture to the butter mixture and mix till just combined.
- Using a 9 inch tart pan with removable bottom, press 2/3 of the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the pan about 1/2 inch. Set aside.
- Filling: In a medium bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice to prevent them from browning. Add the cranberries and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the sugar and brown sugar adn cook for 1-2 minutes, until sugar starts to melt.
- Stir in the orange juice till combined. Add the apple-cranberry mixture and continue stirring with a wooden spoon until the fruit is coated and teh mixture is bubbly, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Assembly: spread the apple mixture evenly in the crust, dot with the butter.
- Roll out the remaining dough approximately 1/4 inch thick and cut into 3/4 inch strips long enough to cover the tart.
- Arrange the strips diagonally 1/2 inch apart in a lattice pattern over the apple filling.
- Whisk together the egg and water and brush the strips lightly with the mixture. Bake for 40 minutes or till golden brown.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- Tart may be baked up to 24 hours in advanced and reheated for about 10 minutes before serving.