Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
I *heart* French Toast Casseroles! I love how you can take SUPER STALE French bread and turn it into a breakfast (or dinner) masterpiece! By soaking the bread overnight in a fruity, egg-milk mixture, stale French bread can be completely transformed and redeemed!!! When I was sent this recipe, I HAD to try it!
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1 inch slices
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- fresh fruit, to serve as a side
- 8 slices bacon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix together brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix in melted butter or margarine. Stir in chopped apples and dried cranberries until evenly coated. Pour into prepared pan.
- Arrange French bread slices in an even layer over apples.
- In same bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Pour over bread, making sure every slice is fully soaked. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate over night. THIS IS KEY!
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Remove dish from refrigerator while the oven is heating. Bake covered for 40 minutes. Remove cover, and bake 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Prepare your favorite fruit or bacon.
- Serve Apple Cranberry French Toast Bake with Fruit and/or Bacon!