Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Adapted from a Food Network Special called Blue Ribbon Winners, this is definately a winner! Apples and cranberries are used in New England, Canada, the Mid West and the Mid Atlantic!
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- 236.59 ml whole berry cranberry sauce
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml water
- 44.37 ml apple juice
- 4.92 ml lemon juice
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 158.51 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 3 eggs
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 78.07 ml water
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 78.07 ml finely ground walnuts
- 226.79 g cream cheese
- 236.59 ml powdered sugar
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 59.16 ml butter or 59.16 ml margarine
- Preheat your oven to 375* F. Grease a jellyroll pan, line it with waxed paper, and grease the paper.
- Combine apples, cranberry sauce, sugar, water, apple juice, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a non-reactive heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture thickens, about 6 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- For cake:.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt on a piece of waxed paper, set aside. Beat the eggs in medium bowl for 2 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar until thick and light in color, about 5 minutes. Stir in water and vanilla. Fold in flour mixture and ground walnuts.
- Pour into the prepared pan spreading evenly. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Loosen the cake around the edges with a knife. Invert the pan onto a clean towel dusted with powdered sugar. Remove from the pan. Carefully peel away the waxed paper. Starting at short end, roll cake and towel together. Cool on a wire rack about 30 minutes.
- When cake is cool, unroll carefully. Spread roll evenly with prepared fruit filling, leaving a 2" border along the short side, which will be the outside seam. Reroll the cake from short end, using towel as an aid. Place roll, seam side down, on serving platter.
- Whip together frosting ingredients. Place into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe whipped frosting around edges and on top of cake roll.