Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of my mother's favorite muffin recipes, I believe it was published in a 'Robin Hood' cookbook. These muffins are especially good around the holidays when there is an abundance of fresh cranberries.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups diced peeled apples
- 3⁄4 cup cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped almonds
- 3 tablespoons oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine egg, yogurt and oil in a small bowl. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Stir in apples and cranberries. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins (cups will be very full).
- Topping: Combine all ingredients. Mix well and sprinkle over muffins. bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- For a variation you can replace the cranberries with blueberries and almonds with pecans.