1/4 Photos of Apple-Cranberry Crumb Tart
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Nancy's Pantry's Note:
This recipe is taken from an old Food & Wine 1993 magazine. Apples and Cranberries remind me so much of the Fall and this tart is a great holiday dessert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 2/3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 lbs tart apples (granny smith)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked over
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1Make the dough: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk until incorporated. On low speed, mix in the flour until the dough just comes together. Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead 3 or 4 times to form a smooth ball. Pat the dough into a 6-inch disk. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and up the sides of an 11-inch by 1-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Prick all over with a fork. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the tart shell on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, until just starting to color. Set aside.
- 3Make the filling: Peel, quarter and core the apples; slice lengthwise 1/4 inch thick. In a bowl, toss the apples and cranberries with the flour. Sir in the sugar and cinnamon. Mound the filling in the tart shell.
- 4Make the topping: In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour and brown sugar. Pour in the butter and crumble the mixture with your fingers. Pile it on the fruit to cover completely.
- 5Bake the tart for about 40 minutes, or until the topping is golden, the filling is bubbling and the apples are tender when pierced. (Cover loosely with foil if the top gets too brown too soon). Transfer to a rack to cool. Prep time includes refrigeration time for crust.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple-Cranberry Crumb Tart
Serving Size: 1 (1748 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4692.8
- Calories from Fat 1574
- Total Fat 174.9 g
- Saturated Fat 105.1 g
- Cholesterol 593.4 mg
- Sodium 92.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 755.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 36.7 g
- Sugars 402.1 g
- Protein 47.6 g