Recipe by buelow
Reworked a family rhubarb cake recipe to fit the fall season. Has been room-mate-approved as the best cake to hit the household. Note: chopped nuts or crushed cereal can substituted for the oats in the topping.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour (all purpose or whole wheat works well)
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large apple (peeled and chopped into half inch chunks)
- 1 cup cranberries (fresh recommended)
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all Cake (not Topping) ingredients. Be sure to add the fruit last, after everything else is mixed well.
- Pour the batter into a lightly greased 13x9 pan.
- Combine the Topping ingredients in a separate bowl. Mix well. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the cake batter.
- Bake in oven for 50 minutes.