1/3 Photos of Apple-Cranberry Crisp With Warm Toffee Sauce
Toffee sauce adds richness to this tart autumn-fruit crisp. While nicely gooey, the slightly bitter undertone of "burnt sugar" makes the toffee sauce subtly but not overly sweet. Blatantly stolen from Marilyn Bentz Crowley, with thanks!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Toffee Sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Apple Crisp
- 1For toffee sauce: Measure water into a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan.
- 2Add sugar and butter; do not stir!
- 3Measure out whipping cream, set near the stove along with vanilla.
- 4Place saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil without stirring. Let bubble briskly for 5 to 7 minutes or until the sugar begins to change colour. Swirl pan gently on the unit until the colour becomes deeply golden.
- 5Avert your face (as hot steam rapidly rises) and near the side of the pan, pour in whipping cream. Stir with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- 6Remove pan from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool until lukewarm before pouring into a container; sauce thickens as it cools. (Once cooled, sauce can be covered and refrigerated for up to a week.)
- 7Warm sauce in a small saucepan or briefly in the microwave before serving.
- 8For crisp, evenly spread fruit in a 9 x 13-inch (3-L) baking dish or pan.
- 9Stir brown sugar with flour and cinnamon; mix in oats. Pour in butter; stir until crumbs form and topping is evenly moistened.
- 10Spread over fruit and bake in preheated 350ºF (180ºC) oven 40 minutes, or until fruit is soft when tested with a skewer. Crisp is delicious warm or at room temperature.
- 11To serve, pour about 1 tbsp (15 mL) of toffee syrup onto each serving plate, cover with a portion of the crisp and drizzle a bit more sauce over top.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple-Cranberry Crisp With Warm Toffee Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 688.3
- Calories from Fat 235
- Total Fat 26.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 76.3 mg
- Sodium 121.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 112.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 78.4 g
- Protein 6.1 g