Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a gread condiment for Chicken or Turkey dinners, not to mention the post dinner sandwich!
- 3 cups finely chopped apples (peeled and cored)
- 4 cups chopped fresh cranberries
- 2 and 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine apples, cranberries, sugar and water in a large stainless steel or enamel stockpot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Boil gently for 15 minutes.
- Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg and walnuts.
- Cook for 5 minutes more.
- Ladle into clean, hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet.
- Adjust times for higher altitudes.
The original recipe came out a little too tart for my taste, so I added 1/4 cup sugar when I added the nuts and spices. Overall, the recipe is delicious!
My daughter and I made this and loved it. Planning to use for 4-H project. We used Grany Smith apples and loved the texture and tartness of them with the canberries. Thank you