Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a much healthier version of a classic bundt cake. For those with food allergies or who are looking to decrease fat/cholesterol intake, this recipe is egg-free and fat-free. This cake turns out moist with bits of apple and tart cranberry nestled within tender vanilla cake with warm autumnal spices. (Made for a dear relative, who has an egg allergy and was facing gall bladder attacks at the time this recipe was created).
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water, warm
- 1 cup milk, non-fat
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove, ground
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cranberries, whole (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk, non-fat (or as much as required for desired texture)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 cup cranberries, whole (fresh or thawed) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a 10-cup bundt pan by spraying with fat-free cooking spray and lightly dusting with flour.
- In a large bowl, stir together sugar and applesauce. Into a small bowl, wisk together cornstarch and warm water (the mixture will be quite dense but smooth). Add cornstarch mixture to applesauce mixture and whisk until combined. Then whisk in non-fat milk and vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk together well. Slowly add into wet mixture, whisking until thoroughly combined.
- Fold apples and cranberries into the batter.
- Spoon batter evenly into bundt pan, being careful not to brush off too much of the flour dusting.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into cake comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes and turn out onto a cake pedestal or plate.
- Place powdered sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add vanilla and stir in milk one tablespoon at a time until smooth. If a thinner or thicker consistency is desired, add less or more milk as you wish.
- Spoon evenly over cake.
- If desired, place cranberries into the center of the cake and around the base of the cake plate mostly for festive presentation.