Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From TOH Holiday Recipes and different from the one posted here in that it uses a bit more egg in the batter.
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups peeled tart apples (chopped)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (or frozen, coarsely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and oil.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add flour to the egg mixture just until combined (batter will be very thick).
- Stir in apples, cranberries and walnuts.
- Pour into an 8x4x2" loaf pan coated with non-stick spray.
- Bake at 350 dgrees for 60-65 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
This goes into my 10-STAR book! Great bread. Very moist and not too sweet. I make a similar apple bread without cranberries, but will be making this one instead from now on! Love the tartness of the cranberries and the Granny Smith apples I used. I subbed pecans for the walnuts.
It's true that the dough is very thick. I decided to do muffins with this recipe. I baked them at 350 F for 25 minutes. Each muffin looked like there was too much chunks of apples and cranberries but at the end, the muffins were looking great and were moist. I used only 1/2 cup sugar. I omitted the nuts. Thanks Melissa :) Made for the Pink Event
I made this for Thanksgiving. I was going to make muffins but was running short on time so I chose this recipe instead. I'm glad that I did! I like the combination of apples, cranberries and walnuts. The bread was easily put together and the end result was moist and flavorful. Thank you for posting this recipe!