Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is from the Land O'Lakes butter company.
APPLE CRANBERRY BARS
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons orange rind, grated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups peeled apples, chopped
- 1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen, coarsely chopped)
- 1 cup chopped nuts
ORANGE BUTTER CREAM FROSTING
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 2 teaspoons milk, to 4 teaspoons
- Preheat oven to 350°F; grease a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly roll pan.
- In a large mixer bowl, combine the sugar, butter, eggs, orange peel and vanilla extract.
- Beat on medium speed, scraping the bowl often, for 2 to 3 minutes until well mixed.
- Reduce the speed to low; add the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Continue beating, scraping the bowl often, for 1 to 2 minutes until well mixed.
- By hand, stir in the apples, cranberries and nuts.
- Spread in the prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- In a small mixer bowl, combine the butter, cream cheese and vanilla extract.
- Beat on medium speed, scraping the bowl often, for 1 to 2 minutes until well mixed.
- Reduce the speed to low.
- Continue beating, gradually adding the powdered sugar, orange peel and enough milk for desired spreading consistency.
- Thinly frost the cooled bars; cut into bars.
I had been trying to create a dessert that combined the flavors of cranberry and orange and wasn't having much success. I'm so glad someone else did it for me! This is really good, although I think the title is a little misleading, when I made it, it was more like a cake. Great for the holidays!